Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC) is preparing to welcome the first TEDxAbuDhabi event, May 26, 2012.
Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC) is preparing to welcome the first TEDxAbuDhabi event, May 26, 2012. Described as an “intellectual circus”, the event will bring people together for presentations focusing on the theme “The Spaces in Between”, delivered by a wide variety of innovators and leaders from the UAE and the wider region.
TEDxAbuDhabi is an event styled on the popular TED conferences which bring together the world’s most fascinating thinkers, doers and leaders of industry. Topics include anything from science and business to culture and politics, and everything in between. TED alumni include Al Gore, Zaha Hadid, Sheikha Al Mayassa and Julian Assange. TED, which stands for Technology Entertainment Design, has grown into a global phenomenon with conferences, video talks online, the TED prize and independent TEDx events around the world.
Those interested in attending must book their tickets in advance since there is limited space to the event, held on Saturday, 26 May. Tickets might be purchased at https://www.boxofficeme.com/Online/article/TEDx The AED 350 ticket price will include a full day of talks fuelled by caffeine and delicious bites served in the breaks.
Humaid Matar Al Dhaheri, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer of ADNEC, said: “TED and TEDx events are synonymous with vision and innovation. They bring together people from all walks of life with ideas worth spreading. Abu Dhabi has proven itself to be fertile ground for new ideas and innovation, making it a perfect match for TED. As an event partner, ADNEC is proud to host the first event at Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre.”
The theme for Abu Dhabi’s first TEDx event is “The Spaces in Between”.
Carmen Oprea, TEDx Curator said: “Abu Dhabi is a city of landmarks and icons. Inspired by this, TEDxAbuDhabi aims to examine the relationships between them, the ways they came to be, and the people who made them possible. We want to add colour to the things and people you know, and shed light on the stories that tend to go untold.”
Innovators scheduled to appear at TEDxAbuDhabi include:
- Nayla Al Kahja – the UAE’s first female film producer/director
- Ahmad Mohammad Al-Astad – the Director of Economic and Social Studies Department at the Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research in Abu Dhabi
- Tarek S. Niazi – the author of the book ‘More Than 60 Minutes: When Earth Stands Still’
- Mohamad Mourad – Google Gulf's regional manager
- Gus Halwani - a funky jazz guitarist, neuroscientist and teacher, working on creating a better link between those who develop education policies to those who know how the brain works
- Shaima Al Sayed – a comedian with the mission to erase stereotypes about Muslims and Arabs
- Yiannis Lagos – researcher of behavioral characteristics and workforce trends globally
- Jourdan Younis – works with research and development in clean-tech and sustainability
- Yalman Khan and Kunal Wadhwani - tackling the issues of world food security, land degradation and overuse of chemicals head on
For further information about the event and the speakers, please visit the TEDxAbuDhabi website, www.tedxabudhabi.ae, or the Facebook page, www.facebook.com/TEDxAD.
This event is possible due to the generous support of ADCB, Etihad, ADNEC, The Rocco Forte Hotel, Agthia, Ti22 Films and The Jam Jar.